Term: 2 years
Meeting Frequency: Bi-monthly
Authority and Responsibility:
The Board of Directors is the legal authority for The Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre Society. As a member of the Board, a Board Member acts in a position of trust for the community, and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization.
Requirements of Board membership include:
- Giving a shit about what we do
- A personal connection with and commitment to SaB’s Art Manifesto
- The ability and passion to embody one or more of the following roles: Provocateur, Financial Whiz, Arts sector experience (e.g. granting, relationships with other orgs), Emerging leader (under 25), Bringer of a social / equity / diversity / inclusion lens to our organization & programming
- Regular attendance at Board meetings – Attendance at our Q3 Annual General Meeting – Attending, supporting, and promoting SaB work and agenda
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Alongside the above, by the 2019/20 calendar year, the Board must include not less than 1/3 people of colour, and not less than 50% women / non-binary folks. Board candidates who bring perspectives from equity seeking communities are valued.
Directors are elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting. Directors serve for a two-year term. Directors may be released at the end of the elected term, by resigning, or according to the Society Bylaws
A Board Member is fully informed on organizational matters, and participates in the Board’s deliberations and decisions in matters of policy, finance, programs, personnel, and advocacy.
The Board Member must:
- Approve, where appropriate, policy and other recommendations received from the Board, its standing committees, and senior staff.
- Review the bylaws and policy manual, and recommend bylaw changes to the membership.
- Review the Board’s structure, approve changes, and prepare necessary bylaw amendments.
- Participate in the development of Swallow-a-Bicycle’s organizational plan and annual review.
- Approve Swallow-a-Bicycle’s budget.
- Approve the hiring and release of the Artistic Director.
If you’re interested in joining our board, drop us a line at email@example.com or 403.710.0093 to set up a conversation with our Artistic Director and Board Chair! From there, you’ll be invited to a board meeting (and, if possible, a performance or workshop of Swallow-a-Bicycle work). If, at that point, both you and the organization remain excited about your joining the board, you will be put forward as a candidate at the next board meeting, to be voted in by attending board members.
Swallow-a-Bicycle Theatre creates productive discomfort. We engage with power structures, shining an interrogation light in society’s eyes. We endanger the eardrums of the status quo by amplifying the voices of outcasts, misfits, diverse communities and artists who face barriers. We hold ourselves accountable for the discomfort we create, to the communities we encounter, and to ethical working practices. Art is how we do this. Art is awesome, and fun to make. We learn and mutate as we engage with different sites, communities and artistic practices. We don’t just swallow bicycles. We swallow complacency, conventions, problematic issues and sometimes cookies.